Monday, May 18, 2009

"special K" bars without the "Special K"

I'm halfway through my month of hosting SHF and have yet to post a recipe. So here goes:

"Special K" bars without the "Special K"


Now, if your from the upper Midwest like I am, you probably have run into these bars at some picnic or family gathering. Unfortunately for me, the cereal Special K contains wheat, but the combination of peanut butter, crunchy cereal, chcolate, and butterscotch chips is to good to be missed! My mom began making them with rice crispies a few years ago, so I could partake, and now I have found an even better substitute, Erewhon Rice Twice gluten free cereal. The cereal, while good by itself usually ends up in these bars at my house.

The recipe:

in a large pot, bring to a boil over medium heat:
1 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup (last time, with moving and all, I only had about a half a cup of corn syrup, so I used a 1/4 cup of honey and agave nectar to make up the rest of the cup)

Once boiling, take off heat and add 1 and 1/2 cups peanut butter, mix well

then add 6 cups of cereal, be it special K or rice twice, again mix well.

Press the mixture into a 9"x13" pan creating an even layer on the bottom of the pan.

Sprinkle over the top 6 oz butterscotch chips and 6 oz chocolate chips.
Cover tightly with foil or the lid of the pan for 10 minutes.
Once the chips have melted, spread the mixture evenly over the top of the bars.
Let cool and cut.

If you are feeling generous, share with family and friends. Otherwise hid them well!



Once I get back from San Antonio, I'm going to tackle this:


Rhubarb!!!!

Fresh from mom and dad's garden...I'm thinking Rhubarb bars, Rhubarb crisp, Rhubarb chutney....

No comments: