Sunday, November 16, 2008

Pumpkin Spice Cake

M and I met with some friends this evening for a potluck dinner AKA covered dish dinner. Per usual, I had decided to bring a dessert.

I spent the last few days discussing with M what I should make for dessert. This consists mainly of me asking M "what should I make?", he giving me a suggestion, me agreeing with it, and then a few hours later determining that his suggestion won't work. Thus, I end up mulling over ideas until something hits me.

You would think that M would figure my pattern out and start suggesting things he doesn't like.
Unfortunately for him, he hasn't but, every once in a while I do end up making one of his suggestions.

This morning during our normal Sunday breakfast at Ria's, I finally got an idea. Ria had two awesome specials this morning, an omelet with mushrooms and gouda, too die for, and pumpkin pancakes with crystallized ginger whip cream.

Totally ripping that idea off, I present you with:

Pumpkin Spice Cake with Crystallized Ginger


Prep a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and set oven to 350 deg F

Sift together: or dump in a bowl and stir around with a whisk for a while
2 1/2 C flour
I used a modified "nearly normal flour" with an additional 1/4 tsp xanthan gum, any gluten free flour with xanthan gum should work. For you wheat eaters out there, use all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves

In a stand mixer, cream together until nice and fluffy:
1/2 C butter
2 C sugar

Add and beat thoroughly:
1 large egg
1 1/2 C pumpkin puree canned or homemade

Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture alternating with 1/3 C water

Fold in:
1/2 C finely chopped crystallized ginger

Bake at 350 deg F for 45 - 50 minutes

Cool and frost with your favorite frosting, cream cheese or buttercream would work well

Easy Vanilla Buttercream from Cook's Illustrated, March & April 2005

cream together:
10 tbs Butter softened
1 1/4 C powdered sugar

Add:
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbs cream I use half and half

beat slowly until combined, then beat on high speed until double in volume

No comments: